SailNet Community - View Single Post - Practical Sailor has deaf ears
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

a. No ad revenue.

b. Few conventional mags will ever say anything negative about the product of an advertiser or potential future advertiser. Every vendor is one or the other.

c. Some topics are inherently loaded with personal preference. Pick-ups, for example. For a work truck I care about power and durability, for a salesman's vehicle I might be guided by salesman preference, and for a family vehicle the wife will have input. Best for who? I'm sure there are many sailors that consider anything under 40 feet a coastal cruiser.

d. Most articles involve testing. Though there are always limits to what is tested (all lab work involves stating the limits and details of a test), testing always takes longer than writing a bit of fluff about how to anchor or some cove. Perhaps 50 times longer.

e. Lamentably, articles are cut for length. Much testing and result detail never makes it because of concern that it will be "too dry."

----

Room for improvement? Write a letter to the editor. I have written to many mags and you would be surprised how often they make some change.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook