SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangers of LED navigation lights
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Dangers of LED navigation lights

i noticed while sailing out here in the biiig ocean that most sailboat nav lights are ambiguous at best.
yes that pricey pos on masthead is not visible or discernible at distances. looks off white at best. so do the close together bow lights.
as for anchoring--it just is not adequate to only have a masthead light.
i have moved my bow lights back to main mast, and 10 ft from water. wide and high. perfect. they even light the jib. perfect.
i use an oil lamp with fresnel lens for anchor light, accompanied by as many garden lights as possible so pangas can see me easily .

if you have problem trying to figger this out, anchor your boat in a decent sized bay. turn on your nav and or anchor lights. go 3 miles away and see what you see from your boat.
but that makes way too much sense for folks to do--they have to argue points unknown in reality.
i KNOW what my lights do. i can see them for miles away.
can you see yours and identify them accurately from 3-5 miles distance????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook