SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Tom,

I am sorry it came across harsh, but as I said above, it is something I feel very strongly about.

Brian
No need to apologize. I can see your point with your boat and that experience.

The UK folks have a much simpler boat with at least 3 or 4 separate charting systems that are not connected.

And they have confidence in several modes (4 actually) of battery charging with their refrigeration(there They have no AP interface with a tiller. They're comfortable with digital charts even though they grew up (as all digital chart users I know of) navigating on paper and just feel comfortable with the new devices that convey them(the charts are the same). They're now 2 years sailing across and around the Atlantic and they seem to be happy with all their systems(except their dinghy .

This news from NOAA to move toward digital charts is having a different effect on many of us.

I realized a few years ago after 10 with a simple chart plotter, I hadn't drawn a course line or bearing on a chart. But I couldn't see clearing out the chart drawer with just one electronic charting system.

When I added a tablet with a charting app, I finally moved my outdated charts to a dry locker, just in case.

I'll add one more separate gps charting device(likely a smart phone) and feel happy in my coastal sailing.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook