SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One of the biggest shockers for me, is how much amperage can be required simply to keep a laptop running... If I'm somewhere playing on the computer for much of a rainy day, my wind generator had better be spinning bigtime, just to break even with the demands of refrigeration and my MacBook's 12V converter...
I will admit, however, that it sounds like an iPad or similar tablet has changed this equation, bigtime... Everyone I know is telling me I NEED one, and it's just a matter of time before I go down that road... We shall see, but I still think I'm too much of a dinosaur at this point to ever be comfortable without the appropriate paper aboard... :-)

I found the same thing with a macbook. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but looking at the chargers;

macbook input @ 115 volts = 1.5 amp
Ipad2 input @ 115 volts = .15 amp

Then you can take the ipad further using a 12v charger, no converter. It charges at half the amperage.

Where as the macbook was a charging issue on my boat, the ipad is a non issue. For you with refrigeration, it's an undetectable usage.

Nice photo! When I first met you on the web, you were railing against digital cameras and the demise of film. (grin)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook