SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help with tired interior
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with tired interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I'm glad that you aren't replacing the veneer. I do a lot of veneering and it will not work for you because a) the stick-on veneers won't work over an oily (i.e., teak) substrate, b) the substrate is really dirty and won't allow proper adhesion, and c) you won't be able to vacuum bag unless you deconstruct the interior.

I would not paint either. The result is often a job that looks like what it is - an overpaint of what was once a natural wood finish.

Do not oil the wood. That's how it got into the state that it is. It's only dirty and not that bad off. Don't worry about the uneven-ness. That's largely due to dirt. Start by using an abrasive scotch pad soaked in acetone or lacquer thinner to REALLY clean everything. Then sand lightly with 150 followed by 220 finish on a 5" random orbit sander or by hand. Do not oversand or you'll go right through the veneer. It's easy to do with the 150. Change sand paper frequently, it will clog easily because teak is naturally oily and the wood is dirty. This is not the time to save money. Finish with MinWax satin urethane on low wear areas and MinWax Spar urethane on high wear areas.

This is not a tough job but will take some time, so do it in sections. Don't tackle the whole interior in one shot, cutting corners because it's getting to be a drag (I hate prep and get bored easily, so I write from experience). PM me with any questions. My interior was in poor shape and with patience and time came out ok. See this link: What kind of interior finish
This is certainly the way to do it to do it right. I think I would scrub it first to see how it looks. One thing I have noticed is a lot of people use gloss and don't sand between coats. It comes out looking very rough. the way that Saberman did it looks great. I have seen lots of boats where it has not been sanded well first and between coats and it shows. Gloss rarely looks good in a remodel, because you just cannot sand it even enough, satin looks like it did when fresh, clean and only had a bit of oil on it. Oil does attract dirt, but it it very easy to apply, but you do need to scrub it bare every few years, just like on exterior teak.

If I had Saber quality woodwork, I would use his method, if I had not quite as nice of woodwork, I would be tempted to scrub it and oil it. Remember it took a lot of years to get like it was. Really depends on how long you are going to keep it if you will reap enough return for the extra work. I sure looks AWESOME when done right though.

Saberman, have you tried any of the rubbed on finish? Sound like it is easier to get a good finish with it.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook