View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 36 electric inboard? diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Christian,

The reality is that diesel fuel is roughly 100 times more energy dense than lead acid batteries, and about 50 times as energy dense as the best (read most expensive) batteries available. So every pound of diesel fuel you replace has to be made up with by 100lbs of batteries.
I know this stumble and I appreciate your input...this is not the root question or theme here...

I do not have the option here in el salvador of going to yanmar or perkins or whatever and asking for a 10k diesel plus installation inboard. i WOULDNT want or need to either...

NOT to mention I dont have diesel compatible tanks, PROP etc...

I also would like to point out that about 75% of islander 36´came with either an atomic 4 gas engine or a palmer p60 gas engine...one rated at 30hp which we all know never happened and the p60 at 22hp! Only very few islanders cam with a 4 107 and I beleive a pathfinder diesel.

and lastly I would like to point out again that cruising speed is not max speed, you never ever ever use a huge diesel at mAx rpm...so even though your mighty westerbeke pumps out 10hp at idle (im guessing around 800rpm at the prop by the time you lose efficiency) cruising speed for you Im guessing again is around 1800-2200...rpms...so your mighty diesel is still at midrange power...meaning a solid 18hp or so...

again my goal is in and out harbor, to help anchor if needed or fight a small current to ge back to the mooring ball...

I have access to a nice portable generator, and I dont see what the inconvenience of that is at all...its a life saver on a cruising boat!!!!! namely to power tools and fix stuff.

again thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook