SailNet Community - View Single Post - Certificate of Origin for Galilee trailer needed
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road
Re: Certificate of Origin for Galilee trailer needed

Unfortunately, Pa is one of the hardest states to title and register anything. I have had several fun experiences trying to title vehicles in Pa. The certificate of origin is only issued by the manufacturer and is what is used by dealers to title a vehicle originally. It is also specific to each trailer/vehicle vin, so even if you could get a copy of one from someone else, it wouldn't help you unless it was for your specific trailers vin.
Are you purchasing this trailer from out of state, or from someone in Pa? This is important, because if it was ever titled in Pa, you have limited options. If there is a title for it in Pa already, you have two options. Track down the last titled owner and have them sign off on a duplicate or the original title, or you can spend $400+ in court and notary fees to try and get the court to assign a title to you. This again involves making an attempt to contact the original owners. The danger in this is if it comes back as stolen, or the original owner decides they want it back, legally it belongs to them.
You may be able to register and or title it out of state, and you may be able to then use that out of state registration to get a title in Pa, but I highly suggest you talk to some notaries first. Remember, notaries are private businesses in Pa, and they need to protect their license from the state, so many will not help you if there are any questions regarding a title... They can't risk being put out of business by the state for not following the rules. I tried for several years to get a title for an vintage motorcycle I am restoring, I finally had to buy another frame with a title to swap everything onto to get a title and registration. You could always do what I do, the trailer in my avatar picture doesn't have a title or registration. I just swap plates from my other boat trailer whenever I need to tow it anywhere... 30 years of galvanizing, rust, and paint have made it impossible to find the vin on my trailer anyway!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook