Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I do both solder and crimp/solder and since adding crimp/solder to my arsenal I have had absolute zero issues with it. Course it means more money in tools but crimping the braid properly works very well. If I can solder the braid I do....
No issue. I still have several hundred silver-teflon PL-259s and reducers for 58 and 8X in stock. When I get down to a couple dozen I'll think about crimp/solder. For now it isn't an issue. *grin*

Quote:
Problem with soldering is that I am often called on to "fix" poorly soldered or worse yet the Shakespere connections at the top of a spar with barely a 6" pigtail to work with. There is no solderer I know of that can do a good job in 15 knots of wind 50' in the air swinging from a chair...
Agreed. I've done with a propane torch in light air and from a cherry picker. Often it's cheaper for the customer to put the connector on new cable on the ground and pull the new cable through. I won't go up the stick if it's blowing or the boat is where a wake can bounce me around. I've been badly hurt that way and won't do it again.

Quote:
I would love a way to test the VHF/AIS radios compared to others.
I'll give a test protocol some thought and get back to you. I think we should throw some external splitters into the mix also.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook