SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fishing
Thread: Fishing
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fishing

Mac,

As an avid trout and salmon fly rod fisherman, myself, I only use a fly rod on dinghy fishing excursions while anchored. I am rarely in a situation that makes sense when sailing. Maine has many salt water fishing opportunities worthy of becoming cruise destinations in their own right. I take a 9 x 9 Orvis graphite rod and saltwater reel with me aboard the boat. Rocket tapers for turning over large flies.

We do fish while sailing and go sailing to fish. There are many productive shoals along the Maine coast. Depths from 30' to 300' that become "holding places" for fish. We plan fishing lunches as we cruise. Under favorable conditions we hove to and drift a shoal with a hand line. I hold 300' of heavy mono line on a 1' x 18" piece of plywood, notched on the longer ends to gather the line. I split a 2x4 and made a handle along one long edge by attaching each half on opposite sides. I have shaped the "handle" a little to fit my hand comfortably. It is the best place to store the hooks, too. A soft piece of fir helps. I rig it with a large Cod Jig as the end weight. Sometimes I remove the treble hook from it and bounce it along the bottom. Above it the baited hooks ride a couple of feet apart. Three or four of these on 18" leaders is plenty. A gaff, a net, even a spear gun can make landing a fish successful and safe. Food! Caught from your floating dock, while you had a comfortable lunch. Unlock the wheel and head for your anchorage. You can't get fresher fish for dinner! It ain't catching a salmon on a bomber or a brookie on a may fly but I love fresh fish!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 01-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook