SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Inflatable Kayaks

7K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  lancelot9898 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying an inflatable kayak for use from my sailboat and wonder how difficult it might be for boarding the kayak from the sailboat. I'll have to board from the side of the sailboat which has around a 3 foot drop to the waterline. A boarding ladder can be attached to aid the decent. Any experiences with such a kayak? Thinking the sea eagle brand looks interesting. I have little experience kayaking, but one of the times I kayaked about 10 miles on a lake under windy conditons and my back was sore after the paddle. It was difficult going against the wind and an inflatable kayak would even be more difficult even with the skeg. Not sure if the high back seats will allieviate the back pain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
My partner and I just bought a couple of Advanced Elements kayaks and used them this season. We have the same arrangement, with our boarding ladder off the side. I'm not very flexible, (and am overweight :(), but I was able to get in and out without tipping. We have covered kayaks, which makes it kinda tricky. If they were open, it would be very easy, but certainly doable either way.

I like the Advanced Elements Advanced Frame boats (we have the convertible and the expedition). They are not as nice to paddle as real kayaks (we used to do a lot of sea kayaking), but I'm quite impressed with the way they handle. They certainly do not cut as fine a line on the water, have more windage, and tend to flex in big seas, but heck ... they're inflatable!

Your back will get stronger if you paddle more, but good lower lumbar support is important. For Advanced Elements boats, I'd recommend getting the Lumbar Seat (which comes with the Expedition, but not the Convertible). I'd also recommend getting the optional backbone.

#24 ·
My partner and I just bought a couple of Advanced Elements kayaks and used them this season. We have the same arrangement, with our boarding ladder off the side. I'm not very flexible, (and am overweight :(), but I was able to get in and out without tipping. We have covered kayaks, which makes it kinda tricky. If they were open, it would be very easy, but certainly doable either way.

I like the Advanced Elements Advanced Frame boats (we have the convertible and the expedition). They are not as nice to paddle as real kayaks (we used to do a lot of sea kayaking), but I'm quite impressed with the way they handle. They certainly do not cut as fine a line on the water, have more windage, and tend to flex in big seas, but heck ... they're inflatable!

Your back will get stronger if you paddle more, but good lower lumbar support is important. For Advanced Elements boats, I'd recommend getting the Lumbar Seat (which comes with the Expedition, but not the Convertible). I'd also recommend getting the optional backbone.
For the Advanced Elements and for other kayaks that they carry I would suggest purchasing them from REI and take advantage of their generous return policy if not satisfied with the kayak. We recently purchased a Convertible and the jury is still out.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

#3 ·
We have a sea eagle and board it using a swim ladder. We don't have a transom cut out so we have to climb over the stern rail. After a couple times we got the hang of it.

When anchored out for a couple days we stored it, inflated, on the deck. The "deluxe" seats make a nice helm seat. When it's in the carrying case it fits nicely in the quarter berth or cockpit locker.

I had kayak experience, John didn't. This was my first time with a tandem. Mostly I prefer to do the paddling because we don't coordinate the movement of both paddles very well and it's just easier.

The sea eagle tracks decently for an inflatable. It has little twin keel thingies. I don't know if they help or not but they look cute.

#5 ·
I've been using an Innova Helios II for a few months and it's been pretty stable. I went with the Innova because it seemed more durable for my dog. Plus with no 'skin' on the outside it makes it easier to patch if it became necessary.

As far as stability, I board through an open transom and it's never been a problem. I've never actually tried to stand up in it though, and it sounds like you may be close to that type of situation even if you're still holding the boarding ladder.

It tracks well if you remember to attach the fin, if you don't it'll be an exercise in frustration (learned from experience.)

It's not going to be like hopping in and out of a dinghy though.

#6 ·
We have a smallish semi-covered inflatable kayak that is short but quite wide - my wife fits a similar description :) and is far from agile.

She gets in and out of her kayak without any effort at all from the boarding ladder off the stern - she has never fallen out during the transfer. Even she would say- if she can do it anyone can.

#7 ·
We have plastic kayaks, and use them a lot. For 30 feet and up I'd be very tempted to avoid inflatables, if only for the performance aspect. However I've liked what I've seen in the Advanced Elements models.. (btw they make the BEST solar showers too!)

My wife lacks upper body strength and a bit of agility.. when getting out of the kayak she puts one foot on the first underwater stern ladder rung, reaches up higher and stands up on that ladder step.. literally no forces applied to the kayak itself and no issues with tipping. She gets in with dry feet, but not out, all off the transom ladder. However she's very uncomfortable with the idea of getting out at floats or even occasionally on other boats..

#8 ·
Inflatable kayaks are much more stable than sit in (least stable) and more stable than sit on top(moderately stable). Getting in or out should not be much of a problem. Going anywhere fast will be. While more stable they are less efficient than a hard kayak, but would work well for a sailboat and short trips around the harbor. If you got the space go for a hard shell kayak, they make a cool rack that holds kayaks outside the lifelines for voyages.

#9 ·
We use a sea eagle, the larger one (370). We like it. It's better to think of it as an inflatable canoe.

When you get in or out, step in the side-to-side center.

Our boat is on a mooring, we use it to get out to the boat, and to carry supplies. The 370 has the extra length that provides more weight carrying ability, and more room for gear. Longer boats track and work better than short ones. We tow it when sailing.

The ends stick up like a canoe, so they catch the wind. If trying to go into the wind alone, sit closer to the upwind end and the tail will want to face downwind. Might do better going backwards, having weight over the skegs helps tracking. With two people it works great. We do know how to canoe.

I have other inflatables and hard canoes and a hard kayak, including an old town canoe the same size. I prefer the sea eagle 370.

When anchored out in a driving rain I can just flip it upside down and not have it fill with water and yank on the line. As mentioned, it is more stable then a hard canoe.

Regular wide inflatable boats really need a motor to enjoy, I call them "turtle shaped". The canoe shape cruises fairly well with paddles, and has less drag when towed.

After the first day we stopped using the seats. They take up a lot of room. A square floatation boat cushion jams down in and fits perfectly. We don't even carry the seats on the sailboat anymore. We do carry a patch kit, and manual pump. This year I got two 12V electric pumps and let them do most of the work, then top off with the manual pump. Big improvement. The 12V pump I like the best is the Airhead small yellow pump, item# AHP-12H. I carry the 12V in the vehicles, on board we have a tiny shop vac that doubles as an inflator. We have a couple manual pumps, for vehicles and the sailboat.

#10 ·
I'm glad lancelot asked this question and got so much great info! I've been thinking about getting a dinghy of some kind, but hadn't even considered an inflatable kayak. Those Sea Eagles look very interesting. Thanks all!

#11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I've been to the seaeagle site and was impressed by the fast trak line of inflatables. Seem like would be more adapt for exploring bays etc than the explorer model. They also have a cat model that would offer more stability, but doubt if it paddles very well. With what I've experienced in the past with lower back pain, I'm thinking that a raised seat might help. A fisherman seat is available with the fast trak and I want to hear what sea eagle says about performance loss from paddeling from a raised position. I do think it would be more comfortable, but no experience with it.

#12 ·
Just remember, if you are worried about stability, that the lower your center of gravity, the more stable - by far - you will be.

Since a kayak is low, a raised seat will make you much more tippy. Low craft means a minor rise in your seat will have a major change in your stability.

If it gets rough, drop to the floor or sit on a low pad.

#13 ·
I bought this model:
inflatableboats4less.com/paddleski-catamaran-kayaks/

Tim from Inflatable boats can give you a better deal than from the factory.
He recommend the paddleski for us as it paddles as well as our Malibu Two and tracks better and is dryer as you sit higher.
It is very stable with the two pontoons.

#14 ·
Thanks Davidpm for the info on the paddleski. I'm debating between that and the fast track model. Just curious as to how well it paddles to windward. What would you say the max winds that you have paddled against? I know the fast trak would be a better performer with its smaller diameter tubes, but the paddleski seems more stable and easier to board from a sailboat.

#15 · (Edited)
I bought it but didn't use it much so I would recommend you talk to Tim. He is a hard-core kayack guy and wouldn't steer you wrong.

I got to know him pretty well because after we got to talking I found out he was having trouble with his website, he is over 70, so I helped him figure out how to update pages. He loves to talk kayaks and is very knowledgeable.

The trampoline on the paddleski is several inches above the waterline so I think there is a much higher possibility of getting on and off the boat without getting wet.

#16 ·
Hey Lance,

did you ever decide on the kayak for you??

I found this thread while I was doing some inflatable kayak research. I'm leaning between a sea eagle, or an advanced elements. I've also considered this solstice flash. It seems like it could be one of the most stable.

If anybody has any experience with any of the ones that I mentioned, please let me know. I'll probably be making a purchase within the next week.

#18 ·
If anybody has any experience with any of the ones that I mentioned, please let me know. I'll probably be making a purchase within the next week.
Hi Chesapeake, I'm sure you read my detailed post on page one.
We use a sea eagle, the larger one (370). We like it. It's better to think of it as an inflatable canoe.
I'm just writing to say that we still like our Sea Eagle 370, and it's still our first choice when going to the sailboat. Last season we had a very rough time anchored in a protected cove at the ocean edge of the Casco bay islands, the storm came from an unexpected direction - high winds, rough with big swells off the Gulf of Maine, very heavy rain. A much bigger boat was being tossed as bad as we were, and we felt like we were on a spinning bucking bronco! I can't imagine the trouble we would have been in if I couldn't flip the dinghy over. The rain would have quickly added hundreds of pounds of weight to yank on the tie up line.

Actually right now I'm restoring a beautiful older quality hard canoe, fiberglass (repairable) with aluminum gunwales and decks. The seats are hung below the gunwales on aluminum panels - lowering the seats increases stability, compared to many newer canoes with the seats bolted to the gunwales. So I have lots of choices but always pick the Sea Eagle.

#20 · (Edited)
I just recently picked up a used 14ft Kaboat inflatable. Http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_sk430.asp
It came with a 2.5hp Yamaha 4 stroke which is what I really bought it for. Now, I really like the looks of the thing and may keep it and sell my 9.5 ft WM inflatable.

I haven't had it in the water yet because the prior owner brought it from out of state and I have hit a little snag getting the title transferred. I am looking forward to it though.

Has anyone used one of these as a tender?

Have FUN!
O'

#22 ·
We have a Puffin Saranac two person kayak. We are quite pleased with it.

I knew going into it I'd be too fat and awkward to climb in from the boat, but my wife and kids (teenagers...full sized people) can get in and out easily. We do have a swim platform, but my 17 year old boards it over the side of the boat all the time.

It takes him about 30-45 minutes to set it up on deck, it is light, stable and fast. Get the deck cover, you will want it since if it blows you will get wet. They also make a similar one person boat.

#26 ·
I have an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak. I use a boarding ladder; PLUS, a 'trapeze' configuration that allows me to 'pull straight up' directly over the middle of the kayak to get my 'mass' out of the kayak. Without the 'trapeze' the kayak would react by moving forward/backward/sideways, thus making the boarding quite difficult. Also, tying the kayak from its 'middle' directly to the sailboat so that the kayak doesnt move AWAY during the vulnerable 'weight shift' will help - a pre-measured tether with a snap shackle on both ends of the tether. To 'load' or 'disembark' one has to learn to get one's feet directly UNDER ones center of mass before standing up.

#27 ·
I still haven't make a purchase, but still looking. Now an inflatable Saturn kayak(OK420) looks interesting. Large tubes so it probably doesn't paddle as well as the seaeagle fast track or the advanced frame convertible, but it might be easier getting in and out of. There are two removeable fins fore and aft which might help with the tracking. It says that the floor is raised like a cat rather than on the bottom of the tubes like the other kayaks. Looking for an objective review of paddling it. There is a good video of it operating in ocean surf on the Saturn website.

Also some of these kayaks have longer warranties than others. Not sure if that is significant or not.

#28 ·
I didn't read all the other posts in this thread so excuse me if this one has been mentioned.

I replaced two sit-in kayaks with this model. It's a little pricey but the quality is excellent. It's extremely stable, to the point that you can stand up on it. Seats are moveable so that it can be converted to single person. And I added a GPS mount and cup-holders to the velcro rails.

Aquaglide Klickitat two:
Klickitat? HB Two | AquaGlide Kayak

#29 ·
I'm also looking at that 12.5 foot Aquaglide Klickitat. I like the higher pressure that the floor can be inflated, but not sure if that much pressure is necessary. Only a one year warranty on that one, but good to hear the quality is there. Also no forward fin which I think would help in the tracking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.