SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hell, Tom - I still am... :-)

Today, pretty much anyone with a pulse can produce very high quality photographic images, even in challenging light situations, without any real understanding of exposure, or the other 'traditional' aspects of photography... Nothing wrong with that, of course, aside that it has made photography a far more difficult profession for those of us who have made a living from photography...

Just as e-charts, bow thrusters, and 'Sea Schools' have injected a whole new class of 'competition' into the yacht delivery business, for example... (grin)
Being connected to our local photography school, that's total nonsense, Jon. A few pro's hung up their commercial gear as digital tech changed the industry, but most seized the opportunity.

Those successful pros today that lecture on their craft(I attend as many as I can), all started and made a living on film.

Similarly, most everyone I know today that navigates on digital charts, started piloting on paper. New tech is not the enemy. If you go up on the rocks with paper or digital, it's still your mistake.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook