SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

I mostly use a little Garmin 376C which I absolutely love. It uses very little energy and is as dependable as hell. But it has a small screen. Also have a Toughbook with C-Maps that ties down right under the dodger. It has a large, daylight capable screen but the thing is a real energy hog so I rarely use it. When the choice is to run the computer or keep the beer cold, well.... An ideal device would be something with the electronics below decks somewhere and a nice sized waterproof touchscreen that could be mounted flat against the cabin side. I cut a square hole through the cabin to mount the radar screen which has worked out really nice. It's now out of the way so it can't snag anything. Having a larger, flush mounted plotter display right next to the radar screen would be ideal. One priority is to eliminate anything that can snag lines. I can always imagine an errant sheet ripping off those pedestal-mounted control heads.

Good point about the night vision with a large screen. Even my little screen in night mode, dimmed down projects a LOT of light.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-26-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook