SailNet Community - View Single Post - welding and welder options
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: welding and welder options

I like Tig for aluminum. You need AC HF to weld aluminum with your Tig rig. SS and CS will do just fine with DC and a scratch start. Tig is the one that can do it all but cost the most needs the best prep and the deposit speed is on the slow side.
Stick is the most bullet proof of the electric heating means in my opinion. I have done cs,ss.and aluminum with good success. You will need to keep the rods dry.
Mig and flux core mig is the king of high deposit speeds. sub arc is the only thing I have done that is faster.
One advantage of oxy ace welding is you will not get a shock in the damp wet environment you wish to work your craft. It is one of the oldest welding methods and is almost like tig and can weld a great many materials gold and silver even ! A fuel gas other than ace can be cleaner when working with some metals. Ace offers more heat so that is why it is a good choice.
My best wishes for you. A little time at a trade school could help you find out what fits your needs and skill. You can use all the machines. Todays machines are truly wonderful.
Many a hope has been dashed by a poor cheap machine.
Good Day, Lou 452
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook