SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

When loved ones are lost, logic goes out the window and you almost always want to do whatever it takes to bring them home, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.

I'm reminded of a letter I found recently among some family things. The letter was from a mother who lost her son in a B17 crash over Germany during WWII. She knew the fate of her son, but she longed to simply bring "his precious bones" home. She also complained that the US government wasn't doing enough to help locate and bring his body home, she also said that she wished she could live out her days in Germany to find her son's body. She would have done anything simply to see her son's body. You could feel the grief coming off the pages.

There are logical fallacies with her thought process too and with her anger at the government, but at the end of the day I don't think it matters. "It's the not knowing that gets to me", "it gets worse over time", and she would have done anything to bring his body home, no matter how ridiculous it seemed to anyone else. This coming from someone that knew her son was dead, just not how or where, yet the crew of the Nina could very well be alive right now, which is a nagging thought that will follow their families until they are found alive or dead, likely the rest of their life.

This constant berating of their efforts is childish and futile, they will make every attempt to bring them home and just want to see their loved ones again. If you don't agree with what they are doing, then so be it, but why do you insist on arguing about it like a bunch of children?