SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Today there are lots of couples there sailing boats like those, because it had become easy: Smaller sails (from the same size of boat), Jib on a traveler, all (easy) reefing from the cockpit and remote controlled winches took most of the effort of sailing and made easy big boats.

Yeah, you've gotta love that Push-Button Sailing, alright...

Especially, when you have to reach THROUGH the wheel to push them... :-)

I've really come to detest these sort of helm consoles that require one to stick your hand/arm through the spokes of the wheel to do something, they seem to becoming more and more commonplace... A VERY poor/dangerous arrangement, especially in cold or foul weather when you might be more encumbered by heavier clothing or gloves... That plotter could be fun to fiddle with, in a seaway with the AP kicking the wheel sharply back and forth...

Just a matter of time before compasses disappear completely from modern boats... Presumably, this one is that circular shape over the companionway... Hell, as distant as that is from the helm, I'd have to pull out a pair of binoculars to read the card on that freakin' thing :-)

I like the way Elaine Bunting said the boat is amazingly easy to sail, "as long as the systems are functioning..." :-)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook