SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
post #1895 of Old 10-27-2013
Brent Swain
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

The October issue of Ocean Navigator has a geat article on the re-building of the classic 141 ft schooner " Columbia" in steel, along with some great photos. They used the gray , cold galvanizing primer , on wheelabraded steel ,the same stuff I used on mine 29 years ago, 99% of which is as good as the day I got it from the steel suppliers.
She is 5/16th hull plate and 1/4 inch deck plate , A-36 steel, common mild steel.
The hull looks like she doesnt have a lot of compound curve in her, only a bit in the topsides, so should be easy to plate, enabling them to use long plates and fewer seams .
The lack of longitudinals will make distortion much harder to control. When they talk about "Fairing " it is not clear whether they mean fairing the steel ,or filler.T-shaping the frames makes them far stronger.
Sadly ,they talk about covering the decks with teak, a huge mistake. Any wood on the outside of a steel boat is a huge mistake, with more maintenace and corrosion along the edges of the wood ,than on the rest of the boat combined. 1/4 inch deck plate gives them more forgivenes than on smaller boats , but only for a while.
At any rate, it looks like an interesting project.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome