SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fishing
Thread: Fishing
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 10-27-2013
smurphny
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Fishing

It's always a tradeoff with space on a sailboat. There is really no room for flying gaffs, nets, gin poles, gimbals, fighting chairs, and all the stuff a real offshore fishing boat would have on hand. My limited deep sea fishing experience has been on boats like that which were rigged specifically to go out off Montauk and catch big fish. I have hooked large tuna when coming across a school on the sailboat (I can rarely resist throwing a line over) but I just cut the line and lose a lure, having no way (or desire) to land a big fish. My limit on the sailboat is a fish I can eat and not waste a lot of it due to lack of refrigerated space. The fridge is usually pretty full already so there's not much room to store fillets.

For lures, I'd suggest some No-Alibi type leadheads in various colors for trolling (maybe with red or yellow pork rind), and maybe some lead headed tubes, a couple of big feathered streamers for sailfish, and assorted small hooks and sinkers for bottom fish. While underway, you're going much faster than optimum for trolling so some weighted lures are necessary to get them below the surface. It's also fun to catch small panfish while at anchor, although probably looked down upon by those pristine sailing vessels who deem themselves to be above such activities:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome