SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. Annoying at the least.
Also agreed. Given the number of times that I've been on autopilot and its way out of synch to compass heading, it amazes me that one would not want to be able to cross check the real compass. Sometimes due to computer error, others to interference with the buried AP compass. Electronics are great and I use them as primary nav, but ALWAYS crosscheck.
WAY back in 2005, I was about 20 miles off the Baja coast heading south. It was the mid watch, dark as you can get! Only the bio-luminescence. The sea was running 10+ with about a 10~12 second period. Not to bad conditions. I was using our compass, a Standard Horizon chart plotter, and plotting on paper once every half hour on our GPS driven Yeoman chart plotter. Autopilot and windvane self steering off.

Just for something to do, a test if you will, I turned off the light in our compass to see how well the chart plotter would work in place of the compass. A few threads on online boards around that time were talking about no longer needing a compass.

I switched the chart plotter through it's different displays for navigating, Highway mode, course up mode Etc. to see how well I could maintain my course.

You will get my compass when you pry it out of my dead wet soggy hands!!!!!!

I did not set the refresh rate to max on the unit, but even if I did, it would NOT be fast enough for me, and did NOT help me to anticipate. I felt like the it did a good job at telling me had had taken place but gave no indication of what will be going to happen. The compass has a natural swing to it that gives MORE information to the user. AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT.

So, you young guys out there, revel in the modern, for me, I'll just stick with what I KNOW works for me, my vessel and my family.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook