SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Neel 45 trimaran

I took a lot of time to post about this one and I don't know if I have posted about the big brother, the 50ft that it is on the market for some years now. The problem (for me) is that I find this a very ugly boat even if I had to admit that it makes sense as a more valid sailing alternative to the condo type cats like Lagoon (that I also find ugly).

They say that the boat is two times faster than a 45ft monohull and 1.5 times than a similar sized cat.

First and only time I meat one on the water was in Croatia, a 50 ft, three years ago. I was sailing a fast 41ft monohull (Salona 41) and could compare the performances in light wind (5 to 7K) and can say that the Salona was way faster and pointed much better.

If we look at a Salona 41 Polar speed and compare it with the one of the 45, it shows that it will be faster too, at least with light and medium wind: The Salona is faster till 10K of wind and only with 15K we can see that the Neel 45 is faster doing at his best angle 10k while the Salona make about 9.5K. But even with that wind sped the Salona is faster at 45º and much faster more closer to the wind.

That's not bad for a boat with such a large cruising interior but then the Neel has 45ft and the Salona has 41ft. Two times faster than a cruising monohull? I don't think so at least if it is not a really old and heavy one.

Anyway, on the trade winds where the winds tend to be medium to strong and downwind the Neel 45 should be very fast and safe. A very good voyage fast boat if the voyage, as usual, is made along the trade winds.

Neel 45 Boat Review | Cruising World

Anyway an interesting and innovative design by Joubert-Nivelt giving consistency to an idea of Eric Bruneel (the builder) and under his general guidance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook