SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've commonly put 80,000 miles on an auto over 4 years. I would estimate that is about 1,600 hours of use. Typically no maintenance or failures other than wear items.

Pick any measure you like, miles, years or hours of use. There's no sailboat system in any size boat that has that kind of reliability, even brand new.
I don't know about that. Of course you make normal maintenance of your car, according the maintenance schedule.

On My last boat, a Bavaria 36, I had done in 6 years 2200 hours with the engine (no maintenance except the scheduled one). To those 2200 engine hours would correspond about more half sailing time, so we are talking about 3300 hours for a plotter and GPS system, for a furler and an automatic reefing system. Also a radar even if not many times used. Everything worked spotless and it seems that 5 years later everything is still working with no problem.

Why this would be different with an electric winch or any other system? The one on my boat has 7 years and it was used already by me on about 900 hours of sailing (on two years). I don't know how many sailing hours had made the previous owner in 5 years of use but it should not be less than what I have done. No problem at all, no maintenance except cleaning and lub.

I don't understand why you say that the systems in a boat are less reliable than in a car.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook