Progress Report from this end.....
As I said I made about 6 or so ounces. The smell worked well for a time, then, in about one week the gel skimmed over and it stopped working. I removed the HARD layer and it was working once more. About a week went by, then another layer of HARD glass or plastic like skim. I peeled that off today and it's working but only a small amount remains. I also use one of the small battery reefer fans next to it. That may have speed up of the skimming.
Next week I may try another idea with more oil in the mix and a different absorbent material. I have attached a photo of how it's looking today.
Disclaimer. We lived aboard full time in the San Francisco Bay area, cruised down through Mexico, and now have the boat on her trailer here in Az. In all that time we have had no mold to speak of. It may be due to living aboard or now the area we are at, so I can NOT attest to mold control of the oil!