SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've commonly put 80,000 miles on an auto over 4 years. I would estimate that is about 1,600 hours of use. Typically no maintenance or failures other than wear items.
Pick any measure you like, miles, years or hours of use. There's no sailboat system in any size boat that has that kind of reliability, even brand new.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you on "There's no sailboat system in any size boat that has that kind of reliability". I believe my cable steering system has many times the 1600 hours on it and the autopilot has at least that. The Raymarine wind speed and angle system certainly has many, many times 1600 hours on it (21,000+), as it's on 24/7/365. Of these three systems, two do not even need periodic maintenance.
There are probably other systems that have at least 1600 hours on them without failures, like the fresh water pump, refer and a/c seawater pumps (magnetic drive) and even the sump pump, but I can't really count hours on them. I have run the Little Giant seawater circulation pumps on a/c units for 3 years, when I lived dockside in Fla and SC without problems 24/7/300 or so days a year, without any maintenance at all.
Considering that all our boat equipment operates in the salt water environment it does, it is actually amazing how long some systems do function without problems.