SailNet Community - View Single Post - welding and welder options
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: welding and welder options

I have always thought I might try using the welder as the boats inboard engine ? If I ever get a big boat. They have 2- 4 and 6 cly gas or diesel air and water cooled. I would think adding a pto for the prop a gear box for reverse, and a throttle control is all one might need ? You would use less space than having an inboard engine and large welder on the boat. I have not seen or heard of any one doing this. Seems like you would have a lot of extra power generation ?
The small toaster size welders have come a long way from past years. Some are very capable of making x-ray welds. They will burn 3/32 7018 with 110 voltage at a normal pace. You can max them out.. kick the breaker if you push but with a large 100 power cord they do a good job. 1/8 rod is to much for the suitcase welders I have seen. Light easy to use. When you plug them in they know if they are using 110 or 220 Smart machines !
The thing I do not like to see is a machine that would not even be a good battery charger giving a new person the idea that welding is not something they are capable of doing !
Just please everyone remember water and electricity bad ! I will check again Monday if I remember. I think the safety men said 21 mill a volts can kill. I have had some good jolts with just sweaty Tig gloves. My fitter will keep two or three pair of gloves on a humid 85 + degree day . Wet and welding not good. Some where out there is an Underwater welder ? You are looking to work near a water hazard. It is done but lets plan to be as safe as we can be doing it.
I just have a Catalina-22 so my plan is to weld at work and sail on the water.
I am enjoying this thread !
Good day , Lou 452
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook