SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
post #56 of Old 10-27-2013
Re: Cored deck soft spot repair

Looking for a little reinforcement!!! Working on a 1978 Catalina 27.

After a ton of research, I decided to go for the peel the skin option. As sync mentioned, I was able to make quick work of peeling back a 6-8 ft section using a dremel to cut a nice clean line in the skin. As suspected, the wood was soaked (due to years of window leaks & improperly bedded hardware). The good news - I was able to quickly scrape out the wood and clean the whole area. The bad news - is that there is only one sheet of fiberglass underneath the wood. The inner liner is quite thick, but that stops 2" short of the hull. This means that I only have a 30+ year old layer of brittle fiberglass mat for the length of the hull where the liner ends to the hull.

My plan was to cut away a 8ft length on the starboard & port side and let it dry out over the winter - then glass, laminate & glue the skin in the spring. I am worried about the structural integrity now if I cut away an 8ft length on each side and am thinking that I will need to do this in sections to make sure the integrity remains.

Plan A - clean out and dry out a section, add a layer or two of glass, then continue.

Plan B - try and add a layer of glass tape from underneath first, then cut away the rest. My concern with this is that I am glassing in the brittle sheet, need to glass upside down and in very tight quarters.

Plan C - Panic

I am going to post some photos shortly as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Would love to hear from any C27 owners who have taken on this project. I feel like I have most of the skills to do this job. My plan was to cut away, clean out, re-laminate ply and hire a professional glass person to do the final top layer glassing - either by putting the skin back down or by laying new mat. I was going to paint the top with quik grip so not concerned about the tread pattern.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome