SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF AIS radios
Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes I also physically test the transmission using the Sea Tow automated system. Don't even get me going on VHF 16 "radio check on one-six"......
Hey, don't knock it.. "radio check on one-six" is all we have available over here. You guys don't know how lucky you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Agreed. I've done with a propane torch in light air and from a cherry picker. Often it's cheaper for the customer to put the connector on new cable on the ground and pull the new cable through. I won't go up the stick if it's blowing or the boat is where a wake can bounce me around. I've been badly hurt that way and won't do it again.
I had to replace a perfectly good antenna cable last time the stick was out. This bonehead moment doesn't really fit in the sailing category, but let's just say I will be more careful in future when cutting mast wires to triple-check there is nothing hidden at the back of the loom. "Oh, sh!t" doesn't help afterward..

...anyways, it was a lot easier to make-up the masthead end on the ground and pull it through as you suggest.