View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ODF View Post
Caleb you beat me to it.

Joe, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. 99% of the reason for my knockdown was improper weight distribution (sitting on the low side). When I have another person for crew the boat is very stable. I have sailed her late into the season, even when we needed a windbreaker and hats. With nary a fear of getting any wetter than the occasional spray.

When I am alone - its a whole nother story!

I did get back out with a a crew member. I was bit skittish at first (down right scared at first); but actually started feeling better about it as the day went on and then found my confidence again. Now I am itching to get out and try it alone when we have some light airs.

in my case, my crew was in the middle... the consistent wind was not enough to be on the high side.. In the middle he would lean as the boat dictated...

It was the best place to be for the sudden wind shift but it didn't help.

To your point though. the same thing happened to me a week before when I was alone and when the boat suddenly shifted, I released the jib and main and sat down in the boat. I tipped, but didn't go over...

I seem to have more problems with a crew in a small boat, since I can control where I am moving, but not the crew.

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook