Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
A question: Why the need for the industrial version with 100 meters range? My boat isn't that big! Do you think one of these would work instead??

So for $4.50 difference you're going to take a chance?

Remember, a smaller boat also means you have fewer options for placing the thing away from other devices that might interfere with it.

The range that they quote is the absolute maximum best-case, with straight line-of-sight and no electrical interference. I wanted to put the adapter down below in the cabin, a few inches behind the radio (so I wouldn't have to splice a wire onto the radio's pigtail). The potential for electrical noise in that location, and the industrial adapter's greater resistance to noise and adjustable antenna, made this a no-brainer for me. At the time I purchased it, the industrial version also came with a gender changer which I needed for use with my USB-serial adapter that I used for configuring the thing.

By the way, I wired my Bluetooth adapter up to receive 12vDC through pin 9, so no separate power wire was needed. Check this out for yourself - I don't want your frying anything if they've changed the design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Classic30 (10-28-2013)