SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

HMMMMMM

I think I have had only one car/truck with an auto that lasted more than 50K miles at an ave of 25mph in speed. Assuming my current truck with its odometer and hr meter are on par with previous rigs. That auto is the one in my current truck. All others have yet to go over 150K. Then again, most do not drive slow up steep grades etc. so anyway.

ANYTHING can break sooner than expected depending upon a lot of "what if's" if you will. Most of the breaks on a boat, truck, not sure what a car is?!?! but if some type of motorized vehicle, then things break when you overstress them in some way shape or form. If you overstress a lot, then things break sooner than later. City driving at higher gvwr's than one normally expect, things break! Alternators every 50-60K miles, starters in the same range.......pretty normal for my useage in trucks. Altho the last couple have been getting better mileage/hours if you will.

My boat on the other hand, yeah things have broken, need to be repaired, but name ANY type of vehicle, be it a boat or car that is 25+ yrs old, and something will be breaking!

Marty