SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF AIS radios
Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
So for $4.50 difference you're going to take a chance?
No.. Just asking the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Remember, a smaller boat also means you have fewer options for placing the thing away from other devices that might interfere with it.

The range that they quote is the absolute maximum best-case, with straight line-of-sight and no electrical interference. I wanted to put the adapter down below in the cabin, a few inches behind the radio (so I wouldn't have to splice a wire onto the radio's pigtail). The potential for electrical noise in that location, and the industrial adapter's greater resistance to noise and adjustable antenna, made this a no-brainer for me. At the time I purchased it, the industrial version also came with a gender changer which I needed for use with my USB-serial adapter that I used for configuring the thing.

By the way, I wired my Bluetooth adapter up to receive 12vDC through pin 9, so no separate power wire was needed. Check this out for yourself - I don't want your frying anything if they've changed the design.
Neat! Yes, I plan to mount mine a few inches behind the radio also - under the deck and not really in line-of-sight of anything that isn't going to interfere with the signal.

12V on pin 9 is a neat trick.. Thanks for your help on this - all good info. Now, to get installing..