SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jon, I was not talking about race boats. Fact is that sailors here, I mean old retired couples are buying +50ft sailboats. They can only manage those boats because they have a lot of help from electric and hydraulic systems and they are buying the boats because they are reliable and they know it.
The Trintellas are not what I would consider Race Boats, in fact the 47 was chosen as Best Luxury Cruiser by CRUISING WORLD in 1998...

One of the features that wowed the crowd at the Annapolis Boat Show that year, was the hydraulic stern garage transom door, similar to this one on a 55: (Such arrangements have since become quite commonplace, of course... But back then, it generated plenty of Oohs and Ahhhs )

Another one of my favorite examples of the vaunted 'reliability' of such boats...

First time I took that 47 south for the owner, I arrive in Key West with a day to spare to catch a flight home for Christmas... After getting the boat secured in her slip at the Galleon Marina, I push the button to activate the transom door, to access the garage where shore power cords, and all the cleaning supplies are stowed...

Nothing happens...

Turns out all the mechanics of this system - electrical motors and hydraulic pumps - are contained within the garage, to which there is no access whatsoever from the deck level, or through the seat lockers - and no mechanical backup provision for releasing the door...

When the owner called the factory with this revelation, he said there was a lengthy 'pause' on the other end of the line :-)

I had to leave the boat as it was, though fortunately was able to transfer all of the frozen/refrigerated food still aboard to the owner's motor yacht in the adjacent slip... Service people were eventually able to pry open the transom door, doing considerable damage in the process, and requiring a very expensive repair and Awlgrip job to the transom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I bet that Trintella has more than 10 years. Am I wrong?
The 50 was about 2 years old at the time of the failure I described of the Leisure-Furl...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-28-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook