SailNet Community - View Single Post - New search engine for sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

voyageur_131 is on a distinguished road
Re: New search engine for sailboats

Argalax: Just taking an email address wouldn't be enough. I want to make sure that if you create a search on the site, only you can access that search. It wouldn't be enough since if someone's email address became public, everyone could access that person's search results. I sure could have users create their own username/password on the site, but then I'd have to handle storing passwords, recovering lost passwords etc. This is precisely why more and more websites use Facebook or Gmail for authentication. (see this Wiki article on OAuth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Please feel free to inspect any javascript source code (right-click and "View source") and PM me which part you think might be malicious, I'll be happy to go over and explain what's happening in the code.

If it makes you feel more confident in using the search engine, here's a link to my personal website Gabriel Parent which has a pointer to sailboatlocator.com. I don't know of anyone who would put a link to a malicious website on their personal website I appreciate your effort in warning the SailNet community about cross-site scripting as it can be an issue, however I guarantee it's not the case here.

I'd be happy to answer any questions,
-Gabriel

Last edited by voyageur_131; 10-28-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: link formatting
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook