SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have a transom-hung rudder, with two gudgeons mounted on the transom. When I replaced them last year I bedded them with MaineSail's butyl tape, since they are both above the waterline. I cranked down on the screws as much as I could, but toward the end of the season they loosened up. These things have big bronze backing plates and lock nuts, so I know the screws did not loosen. The butyl apparently oozed out enough for the bedding to become a little thinner.

Is butyl the right application for this, or should I look for a curing sealant to bed the gudgeons? If the latter, what would you recommend?

FWIW, I am replacing the Phillips head bolts with hex head, so in the future I should be able tighten them up mid-season without having to remove the rudder.
This is why I stress over, and over, and over again tighten SLOWLY, WAIT, TIGHTEN SOME MORE, WAIT, TIGHTEN SOME MORE... when the butyl STOPS oozing then the fitting is tight. The larger the fitting the longer the process..... The butyl did what it is supposed to do, the just missed installer a step.. keep tightening until it stops oozing and you'll be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook