SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That's what I did for a few days, but I had to stop tightening after installing the rudder because it prevented me reaching the bolts with a screwdriver. Hopefully with the hex heads I'll be able to continue tightening after the rudder is re-installed.
You should not need to take it apart and start over unless you want to move to HEX. Sometimes placing a heat lamp on the parts can accelerate the displacement portion of the project from a few weeks of spread out small tightening events to a couple of days.......

I once had a t-top / tower install on a sport fishing boat that took three weeks to stop displacing. Owner kept insisting we were done yet I would keep telling him we were not, these bases are quite large. When he would check on it in a few days it was still slowly displacing. I know there is a tendency to stop tightening because it may feel tight but this product is purposely quite dense as the displacement step forces the butyl into every nook and cranny and keeps it in tension.

I can also tell you that deck core, even when dry, will CRUSH, before Bed-It Butyl Tape is fully displaced, if you take it too fast... It is purposely designed to flow like Molasses up hill in January, just be patient with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook