SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Another one of my favorite examples of the vaunted 'reliability' of such boats...

First time I took that 47 south for the owner, I arrive in Key West with a day to spare to catch a flight home for Christmas... After getting the boat secured in her slip at the Galleon Marina, I push the button to activate the transom door, to access the garage where shore power cords, and all the cleaning supplies are stowed...

Nothing happens...

Turns out all the mechanics of this system - electrical motors and hydraulic pumps - are contained within the garage, to which there is no access whatsoever from the deck level, or through the seat lockers - and no mechanical backup provision for releasing the door...

When the owner called the factory with this revelation, he said there was a lengthy 'pause' on the other end of the line :-)

I had to leave the boat as it was, though fortunately was able to transfer all of the frozen/refrigerated food still aboard to the owner's motor yacht in the adjacent slip... Service people were eventually able to pry open the transom door, doing considerable damage in the process, and requiring a very expensive repair and Awlgrip job to the transom...

l...
That's just bad design.

Regarding the reliability of the Trintella, probably that's why they went bankrupt while HR continues to grow.

Look I am not saying that a coach is not more reliable than a car or that if you manage to keep it simple you will get more reliability. What I am saying is that some systems made life easy for sailors and allow them to sail faster and safer boats, bigger boats. They are an advantage not a disadvantage.

A genoa furling system is less reliable that an old clip on sail on stay. Even if not frequent they can jam and broke. The same thing with an anchor winch. Or an electric autopilot. Nobody questions today the advantages they bring over the inconvenients.

That's the kind of thing I am saying. Regarding boats over 40ft I would say the electric winches and furlers have reached the same kind of acceptance on the market. They have many advantages and a great reliability allowing older people to keep sailing and a smaller crew. Wireless commands for the winches (anchor and sail ones) and to the auto pilot have become increasingly popular and reliable. They have been developed on the solo racing circuit and have become a big asset there as they are for cruising.

All these systems can be operated manually as a back up, so there is not a difference regarding them to be automatic in what regards reliability, only advantages. The same with lateral thrusters. If you have a malfunction you can still operate the boat has if they were not there.

Again, a coach is more reliable than a car and a car hugely more complex but you can believe it that with time a sailboat will be more like a car and less like a coach in what regards simplicity and reliability just because a car is a lot more comfortable than a coach and faster (bigger boats being sailed by couples).

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook