SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sydney -Hobart 2013

The inscriptions are almost closing and this will be one of the years or the year with more entrants: Between 80 and 90 with 20 from overseas ports.

There are some new boats like the clipper's that had done what I said that the IMOCA and VOR should do, I mean make this race part of one of their legs, or kind of out of the port race

As a big disappointments comes the decision to continue to keep multihulls out. I guess the rich guys don't like multihulls and they want to keep line honors from themselves. I cannot see other explanation after all other classic races have allowed multihulls to race from some years now. They say that they want to maintain the "integrity and safety" of the race

Will those meaningless statements were made an Australian ex-Orma 60ft trimaran had pulverized the Sydney-Hobart record (in February) making a sailing time of one day and six hours, at times surfing downwind at 38 knots.

All this non sense can make an extra race event one as interesting as the race. The two local ex-Orma trimarans will make a particular race out of the race called "Challenge" and they will sail two hours after the fleet leaves Sydney bound to Hobart. I bet they will overtake Wild Oats and other leading boats really close. That will give some fantastic photos and video coverage

Some nice new boats this year like the VOR 70 Groupama now with another ownership and name (Giacomo) but nothing that can beat Wild Oats XI if they have no problem. The only new 100fr entrant is the Matlese Zefiro, but that is no race boat and not a mach to true race boats.

More interesting is the participation of Varuna, a Ker 50 comming from Germany but really fast boats are very few to join the habitual participants and that's a shame.

I would like to see all these big boats there, particularly Esimit Europe, the one I think it would beat Wild Oats...but I really would like to see that match: (starts to be interesting at 8.00m):

I have already posted it here but this is a great movie and if you did not see it don't miss it. A great movie of a great race.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook