SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Archambault 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Anyway, all that aside, I was totally impressed with the boat's layout and its massive interior volume for a 35-footer. With tiller steering, the cockpit was luxurious, and suited to racing or simply lounging about with a glass of wine (which is what we were doing). It looked to me like it would be quite dry in open water sailing. Down below was equally spacious and filled with light. The absence of a formal bulkhead separating the forepeak from the rest of the cabin accentuated the sense of space, and you would never feel claustrophobic in this boat. Since it featured a symmetrical spinnaker set-up, there was no sprit box intruding the bow (though the owner indicated that he is considering adding a fixed dolphin nose and switching to A-sails for IRC).

The aft cabin, on the port side, is also roomy and well-ventilated. The heads is on the starboard side, which is basically a large storage / work space. Access to most systems can be had there, while overall engine access from both sides and the front (companionway lifts up) is excellent. I figured you could probably re-build the engine without removing it.

According to the owner, the only thing that is less-than-optimal is the galley layout, where Archambault decided to put two coolers, one to either side of the stove. Looking at the pictures of the galley on the updated A35, due in 2014, they've addressed this issue by removing the cooler on the left of the stove and shifting the stove aft alongside the bulkhead. This creates more countertop space and allows for a larger single cooler.

As noted, the finish quality everywhere on the boat was terrific, and you would never guess the boat had raced across the Atlantic, been trucked across the U.S., then spent nearly a year in the boat yard being structurally repaired.

Indeed, a very interesting boat, and on my short-list of potential performance cruisers I'll be taking a look at when the time comes, particularly when the 2014 model hits the water. Also fond of the A31, which would probably be my preferred choice if I didn't want to go offshore beyond the Caribbean.
Ye, I agree but nothing I had no said already. That boat is probably the boat that has won more times the Transquadra and in its ability to be good as solo or duo racer in offshore races and also good in crewed races has also a rival and that is the JPK 10.10. You have to find a way to visit that one two and give us your impressions The JPK 10.10 is winning now more races than the A35 including the huge success that was the overall victory on the Fastnet with a duo crew (father and son)

It seems appropriate to repost this post about the A35 and the new version. It shows what you are sayng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I was a bit surprised with that. The boat is a winner, I mean it is still winning everywhere (solo, duo, full crew) and I was thinking how it would be possible to make a better boat.....well it turns out that it is nor really a new boat but an upgrade of the previous one and not only a cosmetic one : They managed to save 150kg making the cabin and deck also using vacuum infusion the technique they used already on the hull.

Talking about the hull, it is the same but curiously they have increased the ballast in 210kg and give it more 10cms of draft. So, diminished weight, more ballast and more draft that means MORE POWER as if the A35 has not already plenty.

Regarding the cosmetic part I am no sure I like more the lines of this one. Maybe the boat looks better than the designs and maybe the better alteration is on the interior, that was already a nice one for a high performance cruiser.

In fact they announce a cruiser and a racer. Maybe the cruiser has a better cruising interior and that would be great because the A35 has already a good cruising interior, in a spartan kind of way.

The new model (drawings) and the older one (photos):

This is going to be a great occasion to buy one of these babies almost new at a discount price. The guys that race this boat seriously on the first league will want the new faster one and the price of the "old" one on the used market is going to come down.

And I saved the best for the end: Archambault was living hard days and it would bankrupt if it was not saved in extremis by a new investor. It seems that things are going well and I am sure this upgrade will be a success making even better a great boat.

And indeed, they have showed some drawings of the new interior and if the real thing looks as well, the new interior is even better, in what regards a cruising utilization.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-28-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook