SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
... People expect a boat to be something 'closer to home' and so have a lot more stuff on board, and that requires more power and that adds weight, and that adds fuel and that adds weight, and that makes a longer boat. It used to be that the type of people who went to sea were pretty fit and rugged, but now people of all physical condition are going to sea, so as boats are getting bigger, perhaps physical strength and endurance is declining some. And all of these things tilt the symplicity, divided by ease of handling, multiplied by length and weight, equation one way or the other.

And of course as boats become further mechanized to deal with the above, they require more stored power, perhaps bigger battery banks, energy collectors, and fuel, and that adds weight and that again pushes towards bigger size and perhaps more complexity to handle that bigger size and weight.

Its a vortex that makes me dizzy just thinking about it.....

Jeff
Yes, that is quite true but I don't think that is going to go on an on. If you look at the market it seems to have stabilized between 45 and 65ft meaning that most cruisers if they could (if they had the money) would buy a boat of that size. The magical number seems to be between 50 and 56ft. Those boats can have an house like feel with all commodities and can take the extra weight without making them slow, are very seaworthy with a much better sea motion than a smaller boat. Some good examples, besides the HR 64 that I have posted regarded the ideal cruising boat on the European imaginary:

There are another (smaller) tendency that prefers smaller simpler and faster offshore cruising boats, but not that small. I would say they would see the ideal cruising boat between 43 and 60ft, I mean if they had the money to have one. Those boats also use electric winches and wireless commands but in a much smaller scale in what regards the first ones:

There other (even smaller) tendencies in what regards the ideal cruising boat but not really anything smaller than 40fts if we consider any significant tendency. Normally ideal voyage boats tend to be smaller than the others between 44 and 56ft or at least it is what the market shows.

All these boats are designed to be sailed by a couple and that would be unthinkable some decades ago. That is only possible now due to advances in technology and motorized equipment that takes the effort out of sailing.

I don't say that I like it or at least all of it, specially in what regards the first type of boats that I would discard immediately even if I had all the money in the world, but they are without doubt the ones that are most present as the ideal cruiser for most European sailors, have them the money to have them.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook