SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Well,

So now Jimmy from the rigging company visited today to work up an estimate for my standing rigging.
We look at it and get to talking and planning and waving hands and such - I pull up my right angle grinder with a 1/8 cut off wheel and make a slice under the middle horizontal of the forward plate in the pictures (that's my upper shroud's chain plate). Roughly a half gallon of clear water comes out like it's under pressure.

I'll be taking the rest out, grinding the area down flat and and replacing them with through bolted plates - all but the forward lowers which would require dismantling a head and a cedar closet. The forward lowers will get weep holes, but that's it.

The conjecture at this point is the gel coat issues are because the plates were not properly attached throughout their span and length. I'm not sure I get that, but there it is.

Storm Bay - no that specific plate was the aft lower, it has a similar gel coat 'impact' looking spot below the rub rail but not in the blue area. My understanding from what Dylan is telling me is that the plates should all have been bedded in a foam like bedding compound that simply was not there.
Any way, these 4 and the backing plate will be coming out, the hull/fiberglass sheath will be ground down, faired smooth and fit to the replacement plate, then bolted through with 5 bolts each.