SailNet Community - View Single Post - I hit a &%@#!* abandoned mooring block.....
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: I hit a &%@#!* abandoned mooring block.....

I feel your pain!

A few weeks before the end of the season I was sailing up to Longuissa to meet a few friends.

I was sailing as close hauled as I could, trying to get around Jones Point.

I know I was cutting it close, but the chart and depth sounder were showing 40 feet, so I stayed on my course.

We weren't going that fast, maybe 3 or 4 knots, but man! the sound of my keel hitting that rock reverberated! We barely slowed down and were back into 40 feet immediately. You can see on the chart how quickly the point drops off.

As soon as we got to the anchorage I threw on my scuba tank and inspected the hull. There didn't seem to be any damage: a little scuffing under the keel bulb that's it. I thought I had ducked the bullet.

Of course when I told my friends at the anchorage they were all very aware of that rock.

I kept an eye on the bilge and there didn't seem to be any more water than usual.

We did notice over the remaining weeks that the bilge pump seemed to be running more frequently but we attributed that to the excessive rain we had this fall.

I have been busy at work so, for the first time ever, I wasn't around when my boat was hauled out. In fact it wasn't until this past weekend that I had the chance to go up and finish my winterizing.

Upon close inspection of the hull I found a pretty significant crack just aft of the keel. It's a "U"-shaped split that follows the contour of the back of the keel. A total of about 10" or so along its length.

Now I just hope that spring comes early enough and warm enough to cure the fiberglass before I launch.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook