SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Greg, was the “twenty footer” you mentioned the Cal 20, “Black Feather”, or was it the WWP named “Tubby”?
George,

The small one I was talking about is “Mini”. You can see it at Dave's web site at;
Home

We had a GREAT time talking to him, and the author of the book about his voyage, Sandy Moss. I love going to talks, or even just watching videos of cruisers. Not the short time guys who get a boat, drive it fast, post a blog, then dump it in a few months to a year, but the people who head out far, like Ed & Ellen on Entr'acte who built there boat from a kit ( Ellen and Ed sail around the world in their NorSea 27 Entr'acte ) or Lealea here on the the board.

We agree 20 ft is a bit small for us, but we have talked about a 15 to 20 ft as a “summer home” for cruising places for short time periods.

I think knock down recovery is sure something to think about! But I also think it's different for each boat. That is, because one 35 footer works well, another may not. It's more than just waterline. We took one on our way south along the Baja. A rogue his us broadside. We had the aft end of the boom and spreaders in the water, but not the mast top. Was at 0200, why does everything happen then????? Sure got our attention! We were clipped in, the cockpit, with Jill in the foot well, looked like a jacuzzi! NOT FUN! But we got less than a cup of water below, and she righted her self in seconds. I think our 8 foot beam helped a lot here.

You know, I have to search my memory about loosing wind in the trough? It just does not come up in my mind that it was a problem. I will think about it and see if Jill remembers any thing about it.

You know, as we cruised, we NEVER met ANY boat that did not have so much junk it took up a full storage area. By junk, I am not talking trash, just stuff like spares etc...

I agree, bigger boats do have bigger tanks, but then, they use more fuel! And with the added weight of the junk, use even MORE fuel. Never met a true cruising boat “out there” that was not over loaded, no matter the length! I think we carry about the same, size for size. We are trying hard to pair down now that we have been. We do have a reefer/ice maker, water maker, SSB, HAM, 50 inch TV (LED projector), Etc... We do NOT camp out on board. Guenevere is our home. I don't think we would have a problem with a post an interior photo three days in on a five day passage? As long as it was of the forward cabin, not our aft cabin!

I LOVE YOUR WORDS; “beauty pageant” rants! Sure fits.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook