SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, I like facts but you have completed misunderstood me.

This thread is not about the right size of a cruising boat but about the relation between the size of cruising boat and its safety offshore.

I like diversity and I agree that the size and the type of the boat is a personal choice. But then if we talk about the subject of the thread it is a fact that a modern 50ft cruiser, well designed as any production boat is, it is safer offshore than any 27ft. The fact is that one and not anything about the choice of the size of the ideal cruising boat that I see as a personal choice.
------
SNIP
------
Regarding cruising extensively and living aboard a 27 ft boat, not by need but by choice, well I would say that it is not a very common option. Almost non existent here where a 36ft is considered a small cruising boat. It would imply a very spartan way of living but if that suits you and it is your ideal regarding cruising and living style, than it is fine with me, as any other option if you don't try to convince me that a 27ft boat is the ideal boat for me (or to majority) to cruise.

Regards

Paulo
I agree about the subject of the thread. But I think we are agreeing to disagree about safety off shore. I was not trying to change any ones mind when I started the thread, simply listening to the ideas of others.

You feel one way, I feel another, each of us basing our opinions on our own experiences and what others put forth.

Believe me, I am NOT trying to convince any one to go live aboard just any 27 foot boat. But I am saying, there are more people who are actually cruising about in smaller than 45 foot boats.

As for us, Our Nor'Sea 27 is VERY seaworthy. And it is NOT spartan. We have a 50 inch TV aboard (LED projector) and all the other comforts of home. We do NOT "camp out". And we recently finished up cruising the SF Bay area for a few months and are now planning on cruising the east coast of Florida early next year. After that, who knows.

I do pride myself on making up my own mind based on what I learn from others, BUT NOT following the heard, so what is common or not in an area has no baring on what I decide to do.

Thanks for all of your ideas! I do enjoy listening to others ideas and try to learn something from every one. Hopefully, we can meet up at anchor and have cocktail in the cockpit some time!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook