SailNet Community - View Single Post - We Killed the Pacific Ocean
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Always get a chuckle out of this argument. Too many people and we need to do something about it. You don't need permission to do something about it. If you feel so strongly about it you have the capacity to make us all proud.

But I suspect your actions despite your vigorous call for urgent action will reflect the title of that old country and western song ..."Everybody wants to go to Heaven; but nobody wants to go now."
I can't recall saying that we need to do something about it nor making calls for vigorous action - my view is that there is nothing can be done about it. The top 6 countries in the world comprise half of the total current world population - one of them does not subscribe to the Kyoto Protocol. New Zealand is No. 124 out of 242 and we do. How are we going to help more?

FWIW, I have done something about it - we have one child and our child has one child. But that was done for reasons other than saving the planet - much more selfish ones that just happen coincide with being a treehugger which I am not.

And actually, I don't feel strongly about it - civilisation as we know it is destined to implode but my decendants ten times removed will need to worry about that - it's not going to happen tomorrow morning.

I'm more concerned about a 17-trillion dollar national debt that is out there and is a much more imminent threat for every person on the planet. And that is not ten generations away. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about that either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook