Re: 2013 Sailing Season

My season went like this:

Work like mad get boat launched early.

Cold

More Cold

Work

Cold

1st overnight, 1st weekend of June

3 days after 1st overnight Emergency surgery for me - large tumor - 7 days in hospital

find out its not cancer - whew what a relief - Right?

weeks to recover enough to go back to work

Wife has mammogram appointment wants to cancel-I'm still recouperating-I make her go.

Mammogram shows "Abnormality" probably nothing, but need biopsy

Biopsy show atypia, but not cancer. Whew, what a relief Right?

I recover enough to do Gov Cup, wife recovering from biopsy and can't go, Awesome crew this year, but a buzz kill she can't be there.

Wife does help deliver the boat back home which takes 2 days (Strong north winds on Sun) pretty good time with a nice night in Solomons

Dr.s reviews biopsy and is concerned they missed an area, so she has a 2nd procedure

More atypia still no cancer, still atypic tissue but must be removed

Lumpectomy

Overnight to Annapolis motoring since she can't help sail the boat and even if I single handed the boat, the heeling would be too much for her

Lumpectomy shows cancer and no clean margins - fear of mastectomy becomes your reality

One last day sail in Herring Bay with our non-sailing neighbors that have done so much to helps us out the past months - crossed tacks with T37Chef close enough to exchange pleasantries.

Wife has double mastectomy

Biopsy results - Finally clear of cancer - no need for radiation or follow on drugs - Thank you God! Finally, some real relief.

So, here I sit two weeks past her surgery, knowing she still has a tough painful road ahead but that also that this will soon be behind us, and we'll soon be peacefully at anchor somewhere on the Bay.

Fair winds and following seas to all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook