SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
... So, I look at that sleek, elegant mainsheet on that HR that disappears into the boom, and I wonder "What IF...?"

Here's how H-R describes the setup:

"The mainsheet system only has one single visible line. There is a hydraulic cylinder and line purchase hidden inside the boom. The hydraulic vang is very powerful."

Hmmm, HIDDEN INSIDE THE BOOM??? Seriously? Well, I'm sure it works nicely, certainly gives the boat a sleek and uncluttered look, but I sure don't like the sound of such a system, maybe a few years down the road...

Now, perhaps Selden has made the provision for inspection or servicing such an arrangement very convenient... Still, I don't like this modern trend towards hiding lines and other critical gear... "Out of Sight, out of Mind..." Any hydraulic cylinder will begin to leak eventually, will the first indication of the mainsheet failing on such a boat be a stain on the teak decking beneath the gooseneck? If that system develops a problem offshore in a blow, what then? How easy do you suppose it will be for an older couple to deal with servicing a large hydraulic ram (which often requires highly specialized tools and presses that can realistically only be done in a shop ashore) that is hidden inside the boom?

I don't know much about big sailingboats modern systems (they are out of my range) but I found very strange that a conservative brand like HR use something less reliable or in a experimental stage.

It turns out that almost all modern big sailboats use a similar system even boats that race. It has to be a reliable system to have such a generalized use. The Swan use it also. Here you can see one on the relatively new Swan 60:

"Race-optimized versions, like Emma, have a racing boom rather than the Park Avenue style that comes on the cruising version. However, Emma is equipped with a Magic-Trim system that does away with the traveller, drastically reducing mainsail trim options. A racing mainsheet system is available as part of the optional $35,000 competition package.

On deck, sophisticated sail control systems and an ergonomically designed layout allow the Swan 60 to be easily sailed by just three people. The Magic-Trim mainsheet is a very safe innovation for cruisers, as it has no exposed finger-jamming blocks and includes a quick release that allows the main to be dumped in response to a large gust or when bearing away......All winches on board are electric, enabling effortless sail trimming and creating an uncluttered central cockpit devoid of pedestal grinders."

Flagship: Best Boats Swan 60 | Sail Magazine

The supplier of the system is not the same on the HR and on the Swan but you can have a look at the boats that use the system from this supplier and will have an idea of how expanded is its use and the class of boats that use them.

Cariboni - Marine Hydraulic Systems

Cariboni - Marine Hydraulic Systems

As I have said, we will have to get used to more complex sailboats at least in what regards bigger sailboats. That's the only way they can be sailed by a couple or a very short crew and that's a so big advantage that justifies the use of more complex systems that have no reason not to be reliable...only expensive

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook