SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
....... As you know from your experience in sailing the Gulf of the Farallones, the ability to make speed needed to climb waves and safely navigate in high sea states is an important safety factor. Holding all other variables the same that means water line length. Smaller waterlines means shorter masts. Which means losing airflow over the sails when the boat is in a trough, just when you need the drive to climb over the next wave isnít much fun..........
George,

As said, I discussed this with Jill to get her thoughts from our experiences.

A note here, we go out of our way to pick good weather windows! The great thing about open ended cruising...... NO SCHEDULE. In all our time out we did NOT have all that much bad weather! We used our Mainster for light air MUCH more than storm sails.

She said, and as I remembered it, that we would stall at times when hitting a wave, but it was more from the water than lack of wind in the sail. She pointed out that when we were in weather that was producing that high of waves, we were almost always reefed down. Or, we would heave-to and hang out for it to pass. A larger boat would most likely not have to reef as early as us. That is a point.

I also remember when we HAD to make any maneuver that even might put us beam to, I would have the engine running, just in case. I can only remember once when I felt I had to engage and rev. It was early on in our cruising and we were running with the wind picking up. Jill suggested reefing, but we were making such good speed, I waited. Lesson learned, LISTEN TO JILL!!!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook