SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aft Cockpit vrs Center
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Aft Cockpit vrs Center

I'm not so sure I agree with the 40+ for CC's. Yes, I can see it being wetter in the CC than in an aft cockpit, but that's what dodgers are for. And windage is a problem on any CC, and even many non-CC boats. At Annapolis I was amazed at how many aft-cockpit boats sat just as high, or higher, than some of the CC's.

We wanted a CC this time around, but couldn't find one in decent condition that was also in our budget. If I could have, I'd have snatched up an S2 11 center cockpit. The 9.2 CC's are nice, but much smaller than you're considering.

Also, with respect to the cockpit size on a CC versus an aft, while this may be somewhat true, the area above the aft cabin looks like a FANTASTIC place from which to hang out, sunbathe, and otherwise enjoy the boat. That actually INCREASES the usable "outside" area, unlike an aft cockpit where you typically have the boom and jib keeping you from enjoying the foredeck for too long.

Regarding the interior space, you should look at the Irwin 38 like Chuck's. His is a beautiful boat with a great interior layout, especially for 2. Yeah, the galley may be a bit tight, but if only one of you is cooking, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. And the trade-off is huge as the rest of the boat is very comfortable.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook