SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Capsize
Thread: Dinghy Capsize
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Capsize

Guess I missed this thread the first time around.

When I first started sailing in (on?) a Sunfish, capsizing was pretty normal stuff. Righting that boat and re-entering was so easy, that it led me to be a little cavalier about it.

This summer, I got hit by a strong gust "out of nowhere" while sitting a dead-calm waiting for the breeze to come back (it had been the usual light and variable summer day here). It was odd, in that it hit us almost head-on, but then whipped around to the side. Caught us flat-footed, and we couldn't get to the high side fast enough.

Anyway - I found that righting a C-Lark isn't is easy as a Sunfish. Had I thought of hoisting a flotation device with the main halyard, as described in an above post, it may have been a much quicker process.

Anyway - my camera was waterproof, and it wasn't harmed. My cell phone was also "waterproof" (I had gone swimming with it several times from my river canoe with no ill effects), but it turns out that the manual says that is only good for a short time in the water - and that is correct. Everything was secured though, and we didn't lose any gear or parts.

The C-Lark will bail itself just sitting there once it's upright, BTW.

I had been telling myself that we needed to do some capsize recovery practice with that boat, but just hadn't done it yet. The thing about dinghies, is that you will get that practice - sooner or later. Better to pick the time & place.

Last edited by Steve in Idaho; 10-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook