SailNet Community - View Single Post - Score! *another* dink! :D
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Score! *another* dink! :D

Got a call from a dock-mate the other day asking if I was still looking for a hard dink. "Yep!" and it was off to the races......

After having worked thru this past season with a 9' Caribe RIB, I found it might be better to have a smaller, hard-shell to use as a tender and "toy" when necessary/desired. THe RIB takes up the entire foredeck on the W27 and weighs in at near ta 175 pounds...all I can do to hoist it on the jib halyard and stow on deck with a lot of wigglin', gesturing and cussin'.

Found a Walker Bay 8 sitting in a towing impound lot. Went to look at it Sat. nite; but could only see the outer hull. Great shape; not many scores or scratches on the bottom. The fella that bird-dogged it called me Mon. a.m. and said he got a price from the PO ad would I be willing to go $200.00 for it?? Seeing as how mosr bare boats go for nearer $450....
You betcha!

He called me back later to say that the PO signed off on the BoS and got all the HIN stuff squared away. He ended up buying it outright, rather than a deposit and waiting on me to get down. Figger'd it was a better idea to abscond with the purchase before someone checked current prices.

Now, to find/rig a sail kit and other sundry items
The usual sources are about 50/50 on impressions of this little tender.Some say they have little faith in their tippy. un-sea-worthy plastic shell and others swear by them as perfect for their uses.!?

I *think* I'm gonna like it Time and a few sails/rows will tell. What say you?Any input on usefulness or accessories?

TIA,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook