SailNet Community - View Single Post - " All Is Lost" movie
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: " All Is Lost" movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirari View Post
Saw "All is Lost" last night. I had to drive a considerable distance. Overall I was disappointed, especially after hearing the hype and seeing the trailer. Of course we as sailors see all the errors but this one had so many it was almost comical. The special effects other than a few scenes lask authenticity. The sailor Redford played was woefully unskilled, the boat was a POS and not set up for offshore sailing in any way, his emergency equipment or lack there of was pathetic. One would be asking for certain death if they were sailing off into the unknown with Redford's boat equiped the way it was. I'd be curious how many other Sailnet subscribers saw it and what they thought.
I saw it and had a different take on it. Note that I have no blue water experience whatsoever.

Although there are things I questioned as a sailor (waiting until he found himself in the worst of the storm before putting up a storm jib for example), he struck me and I think most of the audience as capable, resilient, and resourceful.

There are some hints even to non-sailors that perhaps his boat and its safety gear wasn't quite up to snuff. He had to fashion a handle to use the manual bilge pump (which seemed to be less effective than a decent bucket).

To me that is reality though. There are probably thousands of boats on the seas right now with missing safety equipment and in some degree of disrepair. There are probably skippers and crew who have little or no experience in dealing with an actual emergency.

The background pic on my phone is a photo I took about 3 years ago at a gathering of tall ships in Duluth, MN (Lake Superior). It shows several crew members crawling around the rigging of one of the ships against a blue sky. I remember thinking at the time that that would be about the best job ever.

Though I've wondered in the last year or so which ship it actually was, I never bothered to figure it out until today when I was reminded that the Bounty sank a year ago. I believe it is in fact the Bounty (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The picture below is the original. None of the deck or hull is visible on my phone. Anyway, the reason I mention that in this thread is that the sinking has been largely attributed to bad decision making and poor maintenance.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-29-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook