SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
“Safety” is an interesting concept. Given the right set of conditions, even a Mac power sailboat falls within the “safe” parameter. ......

Greg, in the great continuum of cruising boats, both your 27 and my 34 are in the same small boat category. As my Mexico sojourn is only a couple of years away, I am interested in learning more from you and Jill (I’m enjoying your website). I’ve got a lot of questions and would like to dialog further.
George,

I completely agree about “Safety” and it being a concept. That's partly why I started the thread. I can't count the number of times people ask how we could possibility go to sea in our boat! They always come back with something to the effect that you need a much bigger boat to go. I see so many people that equate size to safety. We know if proper boat, with proper prep and a proper crew, what ever those may be.....

The time I engaged the engine was due to the wave period, not wave height. Jill and I put a LOT more credence in the period! We can handle ANY size wave (as long as it's not breaking) if the period is long enough. And we were starting out and wanted to make a harbor rather than head out to sea, a tactic we have done since then. We try to learn at every opertunity.

I was pondering this all week and it came to mind that the ONE craft that every one goes to when all else fails, is the life raft! Comfort is out, but you are safe. And it's the smallest craft. I just don't think I would like to try to voyage in one.

In fact, for us we spent way more time, orders of magnitude, in calm conditions than in storms!

WOW, to bad we did not talk sooner. We recently finished up our SF Bay area cruise. Spend a few months there in the Bay and Delta. Was in the Alameda yacht club for a Nor'Sea get together. I actually gave a short talk there. We could have had a gam. We are now in prep to head to New Orleans early next February for the BIG party, then cruise on over to the west coast of Fla.

We would be happy to share any info we have on our Mexico romp. We spent years there after planning to only stay a couple of month. But our info may be getting dated. One thing we agree on, we had a GREAT time. We met many people had circumnavigated and were back there, stating that is was the BEST cruising place!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook